Accessing Your Medical Records
As per NSW and Australian government legislation, patients have rights of access to health information held about them by our organisation.
Accessing your health information may be as simple as requesting a copy of your latest pathology results from your treating medical practitioner during the course of a standard medical consultation. However, more often than not accessing your health information will involve far more work for our staff. We advise that the following procedure has been developed to ensure that all requests for access are dealt with as fairly and efficiently as possible:
- All requests for access are required to be made in writing and address to the attention of the Site Manager
- Requests for access will be acknowledged in writing within 14 days of the receipt of the request.
- Applicants will be required to complete a standard consent form and undertake to be bound by the terms of the document.
- The total time between the receipt of a request for access and the time when access is granted shall not, ordinarily, exceed 30 days. Where it is not possible for access to be granted within 30 days, you will be notified, in writing, of this and advised when access will be granted.
- Where access is refused to your medical file you will be advised in writing of the reasons for refusal, and your medical practitioner will contact you to discuss whether there are any means by which access may be facilitated.
- You will not be permitted to remove any of the contents of your medical file from the medical practice. Should you wish to erase or alter information in the medical record, a separate written request must be submitted.
- Where practicable, a medical practitioner will be present when access is granted to your file so that he or she may go through the contents of your file and address any concerns that you may have in relation to the information contained within the file. A fee of $126 (non-pensioner) or $100 (Pensioner) will be charged in relation to this attendance and is not recoverable from Medicare.
- Should you request copies of any, or all of the contents of your medical file, the following fees will apply. $38.00 for up to 33 pages and $1.40 for any subsequent pages + GST. Please note, for all electronic copies, a flat $38.00 + GST will be charged. This fee is to be finalised prior to release of documents.
- Generally patients will be required to collect their records in person, however, in some limited circumstances patients may request that their records are provided to another person. This provision will generally only apply where the patient is unable, due to illness or incapacity, to attend in person.
- If you are collecting a copy of your medical record or are authorised to collect the record of another person, you will be required to provide identification. Where possible this should be photographic identification.
Should you have any queries in relation to the above, our practice staff will be happy to address these for you.
Coastwide Eye Surgery